Thursday 18 June 2015

Lucious Lemon Bars

There is nothing I love to do more on a day where boredom levels are at an all time high and I have made my way through every TV series on Netflix than do a spot of baking!
I haven't got a major sweet tooth and can sometimes find the everyday normal cupcake a tad boring and just not that challenging to make because I have made them that many times.       
(Don't get me though wrong I do love cupcakes)

Since you all seemed to enjoy my last recipe so much (It's one of my most popular posts), I decided it was time to do another! I have never done this recipe before and it was adapted from the post by the lovely "Joy The Baker" but they didn't seem too complicated to make and was still a definite classic!
Last Sunday after watching the new PLL episode for like the 4th time!! (crazy i know) I ended up baking Lemon Bars and they were so so delicious, tangyyy and just all round heavanly, I knew straight away I had to show you pretties how I made them. 

INGREDIENTS

For the base:

2 cups plain flour
12 cup icing sugar
1 cup butter
 
For the topping:
4 large beaten eggs
2 cups caster sugar
13 cup lemon juice
14 cup plain flour
12 teaspoon baking powder
12 teaspoon lemon zest (optional but recommended!)

Start by switching your oven on to 180 degrees celsius and lining a 13x9x2 inch tin ( approx..I am sure mine wasn't). Next, mix together your butter, sugar and flour with your hands until the mixture clings together and forms a sort of dough ( It should be short textured as it is a bit like shortbread). Now press the mixture into the tin and bake in the oven for 20-25 mins.. It should be lightly browned on the top.

To make the topping for these lemon bars you will need to first off beat the eggs with the sugar and the lemon juice. Then just simply sift in the dry ingredients (flour and baking powder) and mix until everything is combined. OH.. add the lemon zest at this point if using..nearly forgot that hahah... Now for the part where it all starts to come together - pour the mixture over the base straight out the oven. Some people say to do it when the base is cooled but DON'T , otherwise much of the tooping will sink into the base and it will just be a soggy mess ( I'm sure it would taste just as good though;)). Now pop them back in the oven for 25 minutes ish (it depends on how fast your oven cooks your bars, they took 20 in mine!)

Once your lemon bars are completely cool you can sprinkle your lemon bars with icing sugar and cut them into little bars of whatever size. I got my dad to do this part and he cut them ( Mr Kipling size;)) If you live in the UK you will get that!


No comments:

Post a Comment